What do you want to change in the next five years? It’s a big question and one that can be difficult to answer. After all, five years is a long time, and it can be hard to for some of us to imagine so far into the future and to know where we’ll be. However, these questions can help you think about the changes you’d like to experience in the next five years.
First, think about what you want to achieve. What goals do you want to reach? What do you want to accomplish? It can give you a good starting point for thinking about the changes you might need to make.
Below there' are 3 steps which will help to ease the process:
1. Make a list of long-term and short-term goals. Your long-term goals will be what you want to achieve in the next two to five years. Your short-term goals can focus on the next three to twelve months. You can also focus on daily and weekly goals.
● When you set SMART goals, you ensure that your goals are: S- specific, M- measurable, A- achievable, R- relevant, and Time-bound. Ticking these boxes ensures you set goals that you can accomplish.
● Second, think about what you need to change to achieve those goals. For example, what habits do you need to develop? What mindset shift do you need to make? What skills do you need to learn?
● Answering these questions can help you identify the specific changes you need to achieve your goals.
2. Focus on the process. One mistake that people often make is placing too much emphasis on the end goal. Instead of focusing on the journey, the daily routine, and the habits they need to develop to achieve specific goals.
● If you want to lose weight for example, but you never exercise, you’ll want to develop an exercise habit. It’s difficult to exercise if you are not used to walking for over ten minutes a day. You will need to list the habits you need to cultivate to lose weight.
● Healthy eating is a must to lose weight. Drinking at least one and a half litres of water and moving your body is vital. Once you know what habits you need to develop, you can create a plan to build your new habits.
● Finally, think about how you’re going to make those changes. What steps are you going to take, and who can help you? Answering these questions can help you develop a plan for making the changes you want to see in your life.
3. Create a plan for success.
Break large goals down into smaller steps that lead to the bigger goal. Set SMART goals for each step of your plan. When you have specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound goals, you can create a plan to help you achieve those goals.
● Your plan should also be flexible because, as we all know, life happens you're we're busy making other plans. The important thing is to adjust your plan as necessary and stay the course.
Keep these points in mind as you answer the following questions:
* What changes do you want to make in the next five years?
* What goals do you want to reach?
*What do you want to accomplish?
*What habits do you need to develop?
* What mindset shift do you need to make?
These questions can help you think about the changes you’d like to experience in the next five years. It's challenging to answer them, but they will give you a good starting point for thinking about your goals and how to achieve them.
So, take some time to think about your answers and develop a plan for making the changes you want to see in your life.
If you need help in setting SMART goals try our 7 Days SMART Goals Course here