Updated: Aug 25
There’s no denying that fear can be completely paralysing. For me looking back there were too many instances where I have allowed fear to sabotage my personal and professional growth and if you too was to be completely honest ask yourself and answer truthfully, how many times have you listened to that little, but powerful voice in your head that can talk us out of anything and usually do to the detriment of our dreams and life?.
Whether it’s fear of the unknown, fear of failure or even the fear of success, by allowing fears to dictate our lives, too many of us end up living a life of missed opportunities and unfulfilled dreams.
But it's never too late to make the decision to silence the little voice and to learn how to overcome your fears and finally start creating your dream life. The start of a new year filled with new opportunities and new possibilities is the perfect time to make the decision to face and slay the fears which have been holding you back in life.
If you’re ready to break free from your fears and start creating your dream life in 2023 try these 3 steps strategies below:
1 - Establish and confront your fears.
First it's necessary to determine what the fear is, for example, public speaking, the interview process, the fear of rejection or even heights, ( if you have a longing to trek mount Kilimanjaro and explore the wilds of the Himalayas or other mountainous ranges). The point here is that once you know what your fear is, you can address it.
* Pay close attention and question the fear as you think about what makes you anxious. Note the situations that trigger feelings of fear and anxiety. Ask yourself why you feel this way. What is causing this fear?
*Tune in to your physical response to fear (increased heart rate, sweating, and other responses). If you feel anxious, breathe deeply, close your eyes and imagine a peaceful scene. Allow your focus to rest on the tranquil setting and to tune out the fear. If you need help with anxiety try here and here for breathing techniques.
*Explore the reasons you feel intimidated and make a list of the consequences of the continuous fear and how deeply it has affected your life and growth. How will fear continue to affect your future life unless you take action in the now? When you fully realise that fear will stifle your progress in the long-term, you might find the courage to combat your worries and anxiety.
* Devise a plan to face your fear. If you can’t face it head-on, such as public speaking, start by doing small things that will help you build confidence, such as giving a speech in front of a mirror or practicing with friends.
* If your fear is something you can confront directly, such as heights, start by gradually exposing yourself to something that scares you.
* For example, if you’re afraid of heights, start by standing on a stool, then move on to a chair , and eventually work your way up to standing in a tall building and trying indoor climbing with the safety of an instructor on standby.
The key is facing your fears head-on and taking small steps until they no longer have power over you. With time and practice, you’ll be able to conquer your fears and start living a more fulfilling life.
2 - Take small steps to overcome your fear.
It’s essential to set small goals when you’re working on overcoming your fears as these baby steps will help you to achieve your aims and stay motivated and focused on your journey.
* Start by setting a goal that is realistic and achievable. For example, if you’re afraid of public speaking, your first goal might be to give a speech in front of one person. Someone whom you trust and is most comfortable with.
* Once you’ve achieved your first goal, set a new goal that is slightly more challenging. For example, if you give a speech in front of one person, your next goal might be to provide an address in front of five people.
3 - Continue setting goals that challenge you and help you build confidence.
You’ll be one step closer to conquering your fear with each goal you achieve.
* One of the best ways to overcome your fear is to have close friends and family support. The people who you trust and love will believe in you and help you through tough times. Don't shy away from asking for support from friends and family.
* Find a group or community of people who are facing similar fears. There are many online communities that you can join or look for local groups in your area. If your fears are really debilitating and severely hampering your life you could try talking them through with a registered counsellor or a qualified life coach who will help you to get to the root cause of the fear. * Once you’ve overcome your fears, it’s essential to live your life with purpose. Commit to living your life with intention. Strive to live in the present moment, avoid comparison, and focus on living a purposeful and authentic life.
Fear can be a debilitating emotion and a roadblock that prevents you from achieving your goals and living your dreams. But it is absolutely possible to overcome the fear factor and start creating a more successful and fulfilling life.
By establishing your fear, identifying and understanding its reasons, and committing to taking small steps even micro-steps to confront and face up to our fears, you can slay your anxiety and set yourself free from fear the factor. Start by working through the 3 step strategies and you can begin creating and living the life you want in 2023.